IX ART PARK
The Ix Art Park Foundation is a nonprofit arts organization sparking creativity and inspiration in everyday life. Its central location in downtown Charlottesville is home to a free outdoor art park and to The Looking Glass, Virginia’s first immersive art experience. Artmaking education is centered on the ideas that everyone is creative and art is a human right.
Arts & Nature Camp, built with Little Planets, offers young children ages 3 to 5 a chance to experience the delight and power of art and nature. The program is designed to nurture children’s sense of wonder, curiosity and self-expression. Weekly themes include hands-on outdoor nature explorations and creative arts projects. Campers also enjoy the indoor Looking Glass immersive art museum.
• $45 per day
• Drop off at 9am, pickup at 1pm
• Available June 13-17, July 18-22, and August 8-12
Creature Builder Collective is a series of one-week intensive daytime art camps focused on compelling creature-based themes for kids ages 6 to 9. Dedicated teaching artists will guide campers in sculpture, illustration and other exciting mediums with lots of hands-on artmaking opportunities and the chance to work with professional materials and tools.
• $400 per week
• Drop off at 8:30am, pickup at 4:30pm
• Week of 7/11: Creatures of Myth (dragons, unicorns, mermaids and more)
• Week of 7/18: Prehistoria (dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures)
• Week of 7/25: Creepy vs. Cute (fuzzy faces or sinister snouts)
• Week of 8/1: Beasts and Bots of Sci-Fi (extraterrestrials, droids and otherworldly beings)
• Week of 8/8: Totally Nautical (frogs and fish to seahorses and sharks)
• Week of 8/15: Metamorphix (caterpillar to butterfly, tadpole to frog and other creatures that change)
• Week of 8/22: Monster Madness (monsters of all shapes and sizes)
Stop Mo Stories provides kids ages 10 to 13 a creatively charged tutorial in patience, focus and that most elusive and important of skills — collaboration. Teaching artists will instruct campers in various stop motion animation skills from storyboarding to puppet building to set design and more. Campers will make short animated films for sharing on social media.
• Week of 7/18: Intro to Stop Motion (basics of animation with found objects, paper and clay)
• Week of 7/25: Claymation (stop motion animation with clay)
• Week of 8/1: 2D Animation (stop motion animation with drawing, painting and paper cutout)
• Week of 8/8: Super Shorts (software tutorials for making independent short films with paper, wire, paint and clay)
• Weeks of 8/15 & 8/22: Epic Animated Film Class (two-week camp for start-to-finish collaboration on a short stop-motion animated film)
Check out last year’s collaborative stop motion film “Delphine in the Underworld” below!
Ages 3 – 13 | Day Camp
Arts & Nature Camp – ages 3 to 5
Creature Builder Collective – ages 6 to 9
Stop Mo Stories for kids ages – ages 10 to 13
All camps run during the day Monday to Friday
Campers should pack their own snacks and lunches
Enter this phrase on the giveaway form to be entered to win a prize: Art
522 Second Street SE
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Interested in learning more? Please complete the form below to learn more about this partner’s services: