KID-FRIENDLY PASTA PRIMAVERA RECIPE FROM VA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH’S MYPLATE
Pasta is a favorite food among many, but it can sometimes get a bad rep in today’s health climate. The Virginia Department of Health‘s easy-to-make Pasta Primavera Recipe that is loaded with vegetables and perfect for the whole family. With simple and nutritious ingredients, the sauce gets the majority of its savory flavor from seasonal veggies like kohlrabi, sugar snap peas, carrots, tomatoes and asparagus, while also being seasoned to perfection with garlic, black pepper and, of course, cheese.
An easy and versatile dish, at-home cooks can add whatever veggies they happen to have on-hand to bulk up the nutrients and flavor in this recipe. Get the kids involved by helping them carefully chop ingredients and sprinkle on the delicious cheese at the end! Go a step further, and have the family choose which vegetables to use for the dish the next time you visit one of the local farmers markets like the Saturday Farmers Market at IX Art Park.
- 1 cup pasta of choice, uncooked
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (The VDH recommends the seasonal vegetables listed in the above paragraph, but you can tailor your veggies to your family’s personal preferences.)
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and return pasta to the warm pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the vegetable oil in a skillet, and add the mixed vegetables. Sauté them until tender, and make sure to stir constantly.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté the mix for two more minutes.
- Pour the vegetable and tomato mixture over the drained pasta.
- Finish by adding the margarine and seasonings to the pot and stirring.
- Once plated, add the parmesan cheese.
For even more wonderful family-friendly recipes like this Pasta Primavera Recipe, see the Virginia Department of Health’s “My Plate” portion of their website.
YOU MIGHT LIKE
CharlottesvilleFamily.com, a collection of local resources including a popular calendar of events, family services guides and features on education, health and family day trips for parents and teachers in Charlottesville, as well as the CharlottesvilleWelcomeBook.com a guide to resources for Charlottesville tourists and newcomers. Ivy Life & Style Media also creates other projects including Wine & Country which celebrates elevated living in Virginia Wine Country. Wine & Country Life, a semi-annual life & style magazine, and Wine & Country Weddings, an annual art book celebrating elegant Virginia weddings, are complemented by the Wine & Country Shop in Ivy, VA—a beautiful lifestyle boutique that brings the pages of the magazines to life. The Shop features over 40 Virginia artisans with everything from tailgating essentials and Dubarry attire to locally made foods and award-winning Virginia wines and craft beverages for your next event. Wine & Country covers the grape-growing foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains from Lynchburg to Leesburg, including points in between like Charlottesville and Middleburg.