FESTIVE AND DELICIOUS RECIPE FOR MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
Looking for a simple, yet delicious recipe for summer celebrations? Then you’re going to love this simple strawberry shortcake recipe.
I don’t know how it happened, but it is already Memorial Day weekend! In honor of this very special holiday where we take a moment to honor the brave soldiers who fought for our freedom, I have created a delicious dessert that is also simple to make and assemble.
Using one of my all-time favorite go-to ingredients, Pound Cake, I’ve created a strawberry shortcake with a knock-your-socks-off Wild Blueberry sauce. It was all I could do to not just pour this sauce into a glass and drink it. Yes, it’s that good!
This recipe is also a great staple for the 4th of July and Labor Day weekend, so be sure to bookmark it for other holidays or picnics.
Strawberry Shortcake with Wild Blueberry Sauce
- 1/2 cup Wild Blueberry Preserves
- 1 1/2 tbsp Orange Juice/Pineapple Juice Blend
- 1/2 teas Pur Almond Extract
- 1/2 cup Blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 Pound Cake
- Fresh Sliced Strawberries
- Whipped Cream
- Heat preserves in a small pan over low heat, stirring until liquified (this only takes a moment or two).
- Add Orange Juice/Pineapple Juice blend and Almond extract to preserves. Once mixture is heated through add blueberries. Take off of heat and set aside while you prepare shortcake. Plan to spoon over finished shortcakes almost immediately.
- Slice pound cake and cut-out with star shaped cookie cutter, if desired. You need two slices per serving. Place one layer of cake on a plate.
- Place a small amount of whipped cream on first slice of cake.
- Place sliced fresh strawberries on top of whipped cream.
- Add another layer of whipped cream and the other piece of pound cake.
- Drizzle warm blueberry sauce over cake and enjoy!
Pick You Own Local Strawberries
For a fun outing idea for the family, visit one of the local Berry Farms, and pick your own berries for this delicious recipe. Looking for other yummy recipes perfect for families and kids? Check out the Food & Home section of our site for more.
YOU MIGHT LIKE
CharlottesvilleFamily.com, a collection of local resources including a popular calendar of events, family services guides and features on education, health and family day trips for parents and teachers in Charlottesville, as well as the CharlottesvilleWelcomeBook.com a guide to resources for Charlottesville tourists and newcomers. Ivy Life & Style Media also creates other projects including Wine & Country which celebrates elevated living in Virginia Wine Country. Wine & Country Life, a semi-annual life & style magazine, and Wine & Country Weddings, an annual art book celebrating elegant Virginia weddings, are complemented by the Wine & Country Shop in Ivy, VA—a beautiful lifestyle boutique that brings the pages of the magazines to life. The Shop features over 40 Virginia artisans with everything from tailgating essentials and Dubarry attire to locally made foods and award-winning Virginia wines and craft beverages for your next event. Wine & Country covers the grape-growing foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains from Lynchburg to Leesburg, including points in between like Charlottesville and Middleburg.