CHRISTMAS COOKIE COMFORT FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILYLet’s face it, the holidays can be stressful. While you’re trying to be loaded with holiday cheer, you’re also faced with shopping lists that seem to get longer (not to mention more expensive) every year, too many parties to attend, an entire house to decorate inside and out and dozens of recipes to prepare–all of which need your one and only oven to operate at various temperatures simultaneously. It’s all going to be okay, though, just as it is every year. And since you’re indulging for the remainder of the year, why not make The Ultimate Christmas Cookie Recipe. Don’t have enough time to bake? Consider picking up your holiday treats at a local bakery downtown like Paradox Pastry, Albemarle Baking Company or Petite MarieBette.
The Ultimate Christmas Cookie
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 2 cups chocolate mega morsels (I substitute the green white chocolate chips you can find around the holidays)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 oz unsweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp. flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3 oz softened cream cheese
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spread nuts on an ungreased cookie sheet and roast for 8 minutes. Set aside; cool completely.
- Butter two cookie sheets. In a large bowl, combine chocolate chips, dried cherries and cooled nuts; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, cream cheese and egg until creamy and smooth. Beat in the milk, melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa, then add to the butter mixture. Blend in the marshmallow crème, stirring until thoroughly combined. Add the chips, cherries and nuts. Stir until well mixed. This batter will be extremely thick.
- Place batter in 1/4 cup measurements on a cookie sheet, two inches apart. Bake for 13–17 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for one minute before removing to cooling rack.
is a freelance writer, happy cook, mother of two active boys and sometime chauffeur.
YOU MIGHT LIKE
CharlottesvilleFamily.com, a collection of local resources including a popular calendar of events, family services guides and features on education, health and family day trips for parents and teachers in Charlottesville, as well as the CharlottesvilleWelcomeBook.com a guide to resources for Charlottesville tourists and newcomers. Ivy Life & Style Media also creates other projects including Wine & Country which celebrates elevated living in Virginia Wine Country. Wine & Country Life, a semi-annual life & style magazine, and Wine & Country Weddings, an annual art book celebrating elegant Virginia weddings, are complemented by the Wine & Country Shop in Ivy, VA—a beautiful lifestyle boutique that brings the pages of the magazines to life. The Shop features over 40 Virginia artisans with everything from tailgating essentials and Dubarry attire to locally made foods and award-winning Virginia wines and craft beverages for your next event. Wine & Country covers the grape-growing foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains from Lynchburg to Leesburg, including points in between like Charlottesville and Middleburg.